"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.." (Matthew 6:24 Holy Bible)

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"Brave?"

I recently had a friend of mine call me brave. Brave? Me? I don't think so! I am sometimes on the verge of tears and and feeling quite weak, emotionally and physically. Brave is a word normally used to refer to war heroes and soldiers; like our troops fighting in Iraq right now for our safety and freedom. Brave is a word used for the strong, and those that protect! Brave is not a word that I would use to describe myself!

I usually feel as though I am one of the weakest people I know. Some would even say I have a weak constitution. I have Celiac (wheat gluten allergy) and many other health issues and yes, I have fears...The thought of going blind scares me! The thought of getting a corneal transplant scares me! The thought of losing another loved one scares me! I know from experience that it's what my mind comes up with ahead of time that is scary, not the event itself, although it can be uncomfortable. It's a game of "what-ifs."

So, it's a mental thing, right? Well, in a way...I mean, thoughts and feelings are one thing...but what we do with them or in spite of them is another, right? For instance, I am afraid of flying. I love it, but it scares me to death. On the one hand, thinking of falling out of the sky all those feet down to the ground is scary! On the other hand, from up there in the sky I can see the beauty of God's creation in a whole new way and it's easier to see how God can keep track of what's going on in each of our lives. I remember that He loves me dearly and my life is in His hands. So, in spite of the fears, I went on an airliner and then a small plane during my recent trip to California and Acapulco. I also faced the fear of being on a cruise ship out away from land.

How did I do it? With the strength of the Lord, I "bravely" stepped or should I say flew out in faith. I faced my fears, but not alone. One of my now favorite verses is one I memorized for my first airline flight..."Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9 (NASB)
Don't get me wrong, that's not to say that I never tremble or fear...I just know that God is with me and I continue to do what scares me in spite of how I feel at the time. No matter what comes my way, I lean on God and His love to give me the strength and courage to face it. So now you see why it's not me who's brave, but God's strength in me that causes me to act brave. I am weak, but He is strong. I also have many wonderful friends and family members who pray for me and lift me up when I'm in a weak moment and that encourages me to face another day. (but that's another whole post)

Here is a Kathy Troccoli song that is close to my heart and very applicable as I face an uncertain future concerning my sight. I hope it will encourage you to be...brave.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails